Thursday, September 26, 2013

ABF Freight U-Pack

So last time we went with Packrat and this time we tried U-Pack. It's a bit different. Whereas Packrat was a small pod container this time we got a 26 foot trailer with a ramp.



It was dropped off around 8 pm on Friday. Saturday I loaded things we already had packed in our garage and our attic. On Sunday I loaded up things from up stairs, the kitchen and our living room. Monday I finished cleaning out the crawl space attic. Tuesday was a quick break from packing and Wednesday my Mom's room and the shed got packed up into the truck. I packed it tight and all that stuff took up 13.5 feet. Now with ABF you pay by the space you use (the rest of the truck is used for commercial shipping). Since we had the space though we decided to use it. I bought two pieces of 4x8 plywood and bungee corded it to the walls to hold the first 13.5 feet of items together. Then I threw in some patio furniture:



Now I was ready for the last few pieces. I put in Meghan's bike, my Mom's bike and my bike. Then added our dining room table. Then I (by "I" I mean a wonderful friend and I) added a giant heavy window seat. Trying to get it downstairs was an adventure and probably something I should not have done alone. When I told my Mom I got it down she was surprised. I asked her how the workmen got it upstairs. She told me they built it up there :-)  Yeesh.

When I finally finished there wasn't an inch to spare.


It was pretty interesting going through my attic and finding things I hadn't seen in years but as soon as I saw them so many memories filled my mind. We had a lot of really great finds over the weekend one was animated Teddy Ruxpin and Grubby. Another was the Nightmare Before Christmas action figure sets. I also got my American girl (Molly) and Meghan's (Kirsten). I found my Mom's old cribbage board and I look forward to playing many games of cribbage (perhaps my favorite card game after hearts). I found some dinosaurs that Meg and I played with for hours upon hours as kids as well as scores of mcdonald's happy meal toys from the mid 80 and on. It is definitely going to be fun to unpack and add these wonderful memories to my collections.






No comments:

Post a Comment