Saturday, February 16, 2013

My sister and I

So as we were packing the other day my Mom wrote this on one of the boxes:



Sadly, I didn't snap a picture of my Mom’s Red Riding Hoods before we packed them. They are a set of ceramic cookie jar and salt and pepper shakers. The cookie jars are numbered and they are adorable. The funny thing about this is the no fighting bit! As if she has to tell us that  :-)    


Meg and I are very close (we have to be since we are making monthly 1800 mile round trip drives). Meg is by far my best friend. Being twins has been awesome; it is like having a built in best friend since there has always been someone my age. We have also done everything together. I was thinking about this the other day. Part of why we get along was great advice my Mom and Dad drilled into our heads growing up every time we had fights. They would tell us, "Some day we will be gone and the only one who will know everything about you will be your sister. She will know more about you than anyone else: than your friends or your husband. She will know you better then everyone else. She will be the only one who knows what life was like as you were growing up.


            We took that advice to heart fully. I’m not saying we don’t fight. But when we do it doesn’t last very long. We will get snippy and then silent but pretty soon we are laughing and joking again. I think my parents gave us a great head start in a very important life lesson. There isn’t any material thing in this world worth fighting over. We can have different tastes and opinions and none of that is worth fighting over.  We can have friends and husbands who won’t get along and that isn’t worth fighting over either. 

1 comment: