Monday, February 4, 2013

A little about me: I'm a Hockey fan


I am not just a hockey fan .... but one of the crazy kind of hockey fans. Which is why the fact that Nashville has a hockey team is very important to me.... not that I wouldn't find a way to see a game if they didn't.

Driving in the snow to Nashville made me think about some of the craziest things I have done as a hockey fan and I came up with three crazy trips.

1. When the movie Miracle came out about the 1980 USA hockey team I knew I had to go see it. The only problem was a slight blizzard blanketing the area of NH I was in. I mean we couldn't see much further than the hood of the car kind of snow. But when you gotta see a movie sometimes there is no choice. Our reward was a private viewing (well four other people braved the snow too but a theater of eight isn't bad).

2. A few years ago the Rangers were playing the Penguins in the playoffs. The series didn't look good and I was pretty sure the Rangers had played their last home game of the season. We had enjoyed the year and thought it was possibly the last NHL games (and definitely last game as Rangers for Jaromir Jagr and Brendan Shanahan). So we loaded the dog in the car and Meg, my Mom, and I drove to Pittsburgh with signs so that as the team bus pulled in we could hold them up. Then we drove home (listening to the game in the car). We meet some nice and entertaining Pittsburgh fans that day :-)

3. Finally the movie Slap Shot starring the great Paul Newman was filmed at least partly in the stadium used by the Syracuse Crunch (an AHL team). Well shortly after Newman passed away the Crunch had a celebration to retire  number 7 in honor of Newman's character Reg Dunlop. So what else could I do? Again my sister, Mom, and I jumped in the car and drove all the way to Syracuse to see a minor league hockey team honor a fictional character.

1 comment:

  1. You have unquestionably proven that you're certifiable!! :-)

    ReplyDelete