Saturday, May 4, 2013

Derby Day




One of the things I look forward to doing when I move to Tennessee is to go to the Kentucky Derby. And I mean the whole nine yards. I want the big beautiful hat, fancy outfit, and a mint julep in one hand. I think it would be a wonderful way to spend an afternoon. I've never been to a horse race before and only occasionally place bets, usually when there is a triple crown potential. I was betting today for Mylute because Rose Napravnik is trying to become the first woman jockey to win the derby (her ninth place finish in 2011 is the best by a woman jockey).







Since I was placing one bet I decided to also pick a favorite and a long shot.Now I know nothing about horse racing so google was my best friend. My favorite was Revolutionary. At the time he was an 8-1 but I think his odds are improving. Anyway I recognized Calvin Borel (jockey) so I thought this would be a good horse to try. Also it said that since he is in the 3 spot he is near the rail which is the spot Borel likes. I am assuming since the 1 spot will be empty that makes it even easier for Borel to find his spot.

Then of course I picked Mylute which will be ridden by Rose. Hey who doesn't love  a good human interest story? Her while life has been around horses and if you took to heart everything her sister and father said about her she sounds like a modern day Horse Whisperer. I wish her the best and hope she has a long successful career I see more bets on her in my future. Who knows maybe next Derby I will be watching her race live.

My long shot is Will Take Charge. When I placed the bet he was a 20-1 (same as Mylute) now he has fallen to a 31-1. It makes it less likely he will win but if he does my 2$ become 62$ which is fine with me. Apparently he was impressive in his last win and showed good strength at the end of a few races. The article I read said if he stays within four to five horse lengths he has a chance. However it is also possible he will fall to 15 lengths behind and then he is done. So I guess I will know early if he has a chance.
Then I placed my trifecta. I figured since I was betting on three horses I might as well go all the way. I picked Revolutionary to win, Will Take Charge to place and Mylute to show. 

Let's see how I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment