Monday, November 11, 2013

If 30 Years Doesn't Come

I got some horrible news last week. One of my coworkers had passed away. He was only 36. I have worked with him for five years and I think the best way I can sum up my feelings is that the world was a better place with him in it. He was kind and caring and always so sweet. He would always say hello and do this little bow and ask how you are doing. And now the world is sadder for it's loss.

Whenever you lose someone it causes reflection. But when you lose someone that young and so suddenly I think it makes you pause and reflect even more. I mean there are so many questions from basic practical questions to questions that cut to the core of who you are and how you live your life. For example a good practical question "Do I have life insurance?" And then the deeper questions. Am I really living or am I just going through motions? If there was no tomorrow would I be happy with what I have done? Do I do my best at everything I do? Do I enjoy every minute and get the most out of it?

It makes you wonder if today was my last day would I be satisfied? Or if today was one of my friend's or family's last day did we say what needed to be said? Do I let the people in my life know how I really feel? And if every interaction could be the last I have with someone did I act in a way I would be happy with?

I want to enjoy my time, my friends, and my family. And I need to live my life in a way that those people around me know how I feel

I want to slow down and take my time so that, like my coworker, I can make time to say hello and ask how someone is doing. I mean so often I will walk by someone with may be a nod or quick eye contact. But have I taken the time to know the people I work with? Because you never know when you could run out of chances. And then you are just left with regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment