Saturday, December 21, 2013

A trip to Dyker Heights Brooklyn.

I remember when we were young driving into Brooklyn and seeing these amazing beautiful homes decorated with life sized figurines all celebrating Christmas. I remember bits and pieces but my favorite house had life sized figures dressed in tuxedos and fancy dresses as guests at a Christmas party. Other houses had full sized choral singers and toy soldiers and just a wonderful array of lights. Some houses were subdued and classy others were over the top and eye grabbing.

So yesterday when I picked up my Mom from the train station I asked if she would like to take a drive back to Dyker Heights, since this is our last Christmas in NY, and see how the decorations have changed or if they are still the same. She was game so we went home and relaxed for a bit to allow traffic to finish clearing from the commute before we drove in.

Here are some of the highlights from our trip:

This stunning brick home had a giant Nutcracker guarding the front door as snow flakes dotted the building.

In this house Santa Claus looks out from the upstairs window as people walk and drive by enjoying the sights.

Speaking of Santa here he is climbing a ladder up to the roof top of the house on the corner of 86th and 13th avenue (I think)

For the next house I had to pull over and get out to get a picture. In their front yard was a light up pond complete with penguins and swans.  :-)

Here are some of the life sized figures that captured my attention as a child: toy soldiers guard this front door lit up beautifully by classic white light lined garland.

This house not only had toy soldiers but angels playing trumpets.

Here was a simply decorated house using lights to mimic garland and red bows. While strings of white lights brought out the architecture of not only the house but the multi-tiered yard.

I took a  picture of this house because the front nativity and the figures on the porch are the old fashioned plastic lawn decorations that I love. I prefer them over the new blow up decorations, probably because they remind me of when I was little and everyone had them.

This house is a Christmas wonderland with a giant Nutcracker, toy soldiers, an angel choir, angels playing trumpets, and two happy snowman.


There were so many different houses some that pictures would not do justice like this next house with a carousel, spinning toy soldier, and Christmas music.

Then I took video of several houses as I drove by to show all the figures lining the fences.

It was a nice night filled with holiday cheer. Lots of people lined the sidewalks looking down block after block of decorations.

Thank you to the people of Dyker Heights who probably have as much fun with this as the people who enjoy their displays.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment