Friday, August 23, 2013

She's gone country

Well this move is getting serious. Last week I drove with Meghan down to Tennessee so she can start her new life down there. Her job transfer took less time then we expected so she got to move early. She took our three cats- Tipperary, Roma, and Napoli. I have to say I wasn't looking forward to a 16 hour drive with three cats but it actually went pretty well. The week before we were leaving I stopped by the vet's office and asked if they had any recommendations for me on the road. They gave us some treats for the cats that would calm them and told us to cover the carriers with a blanket and they would go to sleep. I don't know if the cats really slept much but they did seem somewhat relaxed.

We drove down in a brand new Ford C-max hybrid and, I gotta say, it was great. We drove over 900 miles and spent only $70 on gas. Throughout the trip we averaged anywhere from 38-50 miles per gallon. So go Ford!

It's going to be strange. We have never been separated very long or by very far. We were six minutes apart entering this world and from that moment on we have pretty much always been together. Six minutes doesn't sound like very much but sometimes it can feel like a lot. I mean big sister/little sister may seem trivial with such a small time frame but there have been a few times when I have been keenly aware of the 'gap'.

1. On September 11th when we were five hours away from our home in college in New Hampshire and I first heard the news I immediately went looking for Meghan.
2. When Meghan was a pedestrian in a car accident and spent almost a month in the hospital.
3. Last week as I drove away from my house in TN leaving her over 900 miles away.

The last time and longest time we have ever been separate was when Meg was in the hospital after the car accident. Other than that we have always been together. We finish each other's sentences. We have stories we tell at this point we don't actually remember which of us they happened to. We even have freaky stories about shared dreams and other twin connection type stories.  It's going to be weird and I will have to learn to start talking in the singular.

No comments:

Post a Comment