Sunday, April 5, 2015

Family in Torre Del Greco: A week to Remember


My Grandfather was from Torre Del Greco just outside Naples Italy and most of my family is still there.  At the end of October my Great Uncle Tony, the last of my Grandfather's siblings,  turned 85 and my Mom wanted to go to Torre Del Greco for his birthday.

Meg and I had met some of my Mom's family when we were in college studying in Rome. We had spent a whirlwind weekend in Torre Del Greco where we got to travel to Vesuvius, visit Ercolano, take a walk through Naples and most importantly meet some of the family my Mom had spoken about for years. We stayed at the apartment of her Aunt Angelina and had a party at one of her cousin's home.  My Mom had first gone to Italy when she was in her 20s and then returned a few years ago after reconnecting with her family on facebook.

Our trip was two parts. The first was a trip to Rome where I literarily forced my Mom to go to everything there is to see in Rome. Then we were off to Torre del Greco.

We took an early morning train from Rome to Naples where we met with my Mom's cousin, Michele, for the last 30 minute ride to Torre Del Greco.

Photo by Meghan Keohane
After a quick stop at Michele's apartment we went for a tour of the town. We saw the amazing black sand beach.



The effects of living in the shadow of a volcano. We filled some bottles with sand as souvenirs. Cause yes we are weird :-)




Speaking of the volcano we took pictures of it at every chance we got.



We also got to walk by the apartment building where my Grandfather was born and grew up.
Photo by Meghan Keohane
photo by Meghan Keohane
















The current residents were probably wondering why people where taking pictures of their building.






We walked over to the Holy Cross Basilica in town where, as the story goes, when Vesuvius erupted all the people in the town gathered in front of the church and the lava flowed around the sides of it saving the people.

photo by Meghan Keohane

Photo by Meghan Keohane
Photo by Meghan Keohane
The bell tower on the left is from before the eruption in the baroque style. The church was rebuilt in the Neo Classical style. Meghan took this photo with her new fish eye lens which she got to play with the entire trip. She is definitely a natural at photography and it didn't take her long to adjust to the lens and get some marvelous shots.
             
Photo by Meghan Keohane


These are some pictures from outside and inside the church. From the statue of the priest holding up his hand blessing the congregation and asking God's protection, the close up of the bell tower and neo-classical columns showing the difference in architectural style, the magnificent organ, and the altar honoring San Gennaro.

Now our travel to Torre Del Greco was kind of a secret. My Mom didn't want her Uncle to find out so that she could surprise him when he came to Michele's apartment, since he was her co-conspirator. She did eventually let her other cousins in on the secret and, again with Michele and his son Antonio's help, she arranged a party for us and her cousins. It was at this party when I fully realized how lucky I was to have so many family members in Italy. 

First the place was absolutely gorgeous. But what made it even better was the amount of people who were there. My Mom's cousins and their families filled the space. It was wonderful to get introduced or reintroduced since it had been so long since we had been there. Part of the wonderful thing about facebook has been keeping up with all of our family in Italy but now I have more of a connection to them. 

Photo by Meghan Keohane
Photo by Meghan Keohane
Photo by Meghan Keohane
Photo by Meghan Keohane
Photo by Meghan Keohane
Photo by Meghan Keohane
Photo by Meghan Keohane
My Mom took turns taking pictures with each of her cousin's and their families
Photo by Meghan Keohane



Then she got some news that she wasn't expecting. Michele had arranged for my Mom's Aunt and Uncle to come to the party. Originally she had wanted to surprise them at my Great Uncle's birthday but now everyone got to be surprised as he entered :-)

Photo by Meghan Keohane

We spent so long mingling and talking that the poor wait staff was getting frustrated as we were falling behind in the schedule and I am sure they were wondering if they were ever going to get out of there that night. 

We knew my Mom was having a party with her cousins but we didn't know it was going to be a birthday party for us. We had cake, received flowers, and beautiful Merano glass necklace and bracelets. 
Photo by Meghan Keohane
Photo by Meghan Keohane

Then they lit giant lanterns that we got to watch sail away with the town far below them.
Photo by Meghan Keohane
Photo by Meghan Keohane
Photo by Meghan Keohane
Photo by Meghan Keohane



Hands down one of the best birthdays I will ever have.

In Rome I had gone beyond my comfort zone when it came to food and tried some new things, all of which were great. The trend continued as we visited my Mom's cousin in Caserta. 
Photo by Meghan Keohane

Pasta flavored and colored with squid ink! The only other time I had tried to have squid was at a restaurant when I had fried calamari and as I tried to eat it my Dad kept commenting on how squishy it was and other wonderful comments that made one bite enough for me. This was absolutely delicious!


We also took a trip with Michele and Antonio to Pompei.

Photo by Meghan Keohane
Photo by Meghan Keohane


Later in the day we went with Michele's whole family to Sorrento.


Now my Mom told us that when we got to Sorrento we had to see the lemons. Apparently my Grandfather had always talked about the lemons from Sorrento and compared every lemon he saw to Sorrento. And they all failed in comparison. According to him the lemons were as large as melons, unlike the puny lemons we find in American grocery stores. My Mom had never believed him until she visit and saw one for herself. Now there was a lot of build up about these lemons and they did not disappoint. 
Feast your eyes on the King of the Lemons!


That's right the lemon is so large it barely fits in my hand. 


Two days later it was the day of my Great Uncle's birthday.

Photo by Meghan Keohane

Now before we had left for Italy my Uncle Greg, who had gone to Italy a few years ago with my Mom but could not come this time, recorded a video toasting his Uncle and wishing him a very Happy Birthday and many returns. So at the party my cousin Antonio, a very talented Opera singer, and my Great Uncle Tony recorded a duet for me to bring back to my Uncle and this was by far one of the greatest moments of my life. The feeling in the room was just one of over encompassing love. And watching the video over brings me right back to that night.



I have so much more to say about this wonderful trip from the castle we saw in Caserta and it Merano glass chandeliers, to the splendor of the Neapolitan Nativity, our trips to Pompei and Ercolano, Naples, and more about Sorrento. More posts will come about those. But on this Easter Sunday I wanted to think back and give thanks for my family in Italy and some truly magnificent moments in my life!

Happy Easter to my friends and family and in particular my family in Italy!
Buona Pasqua ai miei amici e parenti e in particolare la mia famiglia in Italia!


No comments:

Post a Comment